Tool D-3: Sample Form
School Superintendent's Letter
The School Superintendent’s Letter was developed by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Division of Children and Family Services (DHHS) to notify a School Superintendent that a student has become a ward of the State. A copy of the Letter is sent to the Principal of the school building where the student attends.
View the Sample Superintendents Letters (PDF)
The School Superintendent’s Letter is also sent by the youth’s Case Manager / Juvenile Services Officer (DHHS or private contractor) under the following circumstances:
- A student who is a State Ward moves into that particular school district as a result of out-of-home placement;
- Parental involvement has changed;
- The parents have relinquished their parental rights or those rights have been terminated by the Court;
- The parents have had their education decision-making rights terminated by the Court and a surrogate parent has been appointed to make those decisions for the student; or
- The student is no longer a State Ward.
If you have any questions or would like additional information about the School Superintendent’s Letter and State Wards, refer to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Division of Children and Family Services website: http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/children_family_services/, or call: (402) 471-9272.
Additional information about the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Division of Children and Family Services is provided in the Systems Tool Kit – Part Two, Section B.
Please help us keep our website current. If you notice a content correction or addition, contact us.